4 May, 2016
Who doesn’t love the broccoli salad at sweet tomatoes? OMG – the first time i tasted it, i was in love!
Then i went to the nutrition site… OMG – and not in a good way. (the nutrition i’m showing is for big dishes of the yums, would be less as a side salad!)
This little ditty that i concocted is a combination of 2, possibly more different recipes i saw, plus my vague memory of sweet tomatoes! But the sauce was just perfect from one and the “what” in the salad was better from my memory and another! I love the combo of the cranberries and almonds! I’ll be sharing a quinoa salad that i created with those two ingredients and love soon!
Wonderful combo of broccoli, the tart cranberries and enough sauce to make it all meld and make your tummy happy!
4 cup broccoli florets
1/4 cup red onion
3 pieces bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup cranberries
1/4 cup chopped mixed nuts
1/3 cup light mayo
1/4 cup fat free yogurt
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. white vinegar
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl
- Combine mayo and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk
- Pour dressing over broccoli mixture, and toss well. Chill for and hour
- Such a great summer salad, and anytime you can grab some fresh broccoli!
This is one of the easiest recipes to prep ahead! I usually put all the pieces in separate containers, and combine at the last minute!
- Cook the bacon, drain, crumble, and store in either a container or a plastic baggie. (obviously container is greener!)
- Chop the broccoli
- Wash and drain after, store in a container with a paper towel to get any residual water
- Chop the almonds – store on it’s own, don’t want the nuts to get soggy – can also make extra for use at a later date.
- Chop the cranberries
- Chop the red onion (if using) – definitely store by itself, air tight
- Make the sauce
- Combine: light mayo, fat free yogurt, sugar and white vinegar
Combine all the ingredients but the bacon.
Put bacon on the top at the last minute.
This makes a great side salad, or main dish with a protein. Presentation is amazing, tell everyone you slaved over it!
For use as lunches:
Separate all the pieces into 4 separate lunch bunches. Place the sauce into 4 separate midget/mini containers. Combine at lunch! Win win!
As time has gone on, i’m looking more toward being wheat free, so making your own mayo, or getting mayo made with less ingredients is more appealing to me. This will change the nutrition, but make the choice with what is best for you, your nutrition needs and your family!