21 March, 2017
Salted caramel peanut butter truffles
A little trick to get your loved ones or you to get some healthy with your sweet
These are a great dessert and a fun way to use up some fancy salts!! OR a reason to get more! Squee!
- 2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more for topping (different flavors)
- 1/4 cup natural salted peanut butter (creamy is best, but crunchy works, too) jiff works too
- 1 heaping cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- If dates aren’t sticky and super moist when squeezed, soak in hot water for 10-15 minutes to soften. Drain thoroughly and pit. Otherwise, pit and add to food processor.
- Blend/pulse your dates until they form a loose "dough." If it becomes a ball, that is good.
- If it does not combine, drizzle in a tiny bit of warm water - 1 tsp at a time - scraping down sides as needed, and mix until a rough paste or ball forms. Note: Too much water will make it difficult to handle and they won’t freeze up well.
- Add 1/2 tsp sea salt and mix once more to incorporate. Taste and adjust saltiness level if desired.
- Using a small melon baller, scoop out small balls.
- Place on a parchment/silpat-lined baking sheet and freeze for 20-60 minutes to set.
- Once set - drizzle peanut butter until the top is coated. Note: If your peanut butter is too firm and not spreadable (meaning it's either dry or not the natural variety), add it to a small mixing bowl with 1/2 TBSP coconut oil and microwave to melt Stir to combine, then proceed as instructed.
- Freeze again for another 15-60 minutes, or until the peanut butter has formed a semi-firm “shell.”
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments with 1 TBSP coconut oil.
- Remove truffles from freezer and, using a fork, scoop truffles up and quickly immerse in chocolate, using a small spoon to drizzle chocolate evenly on top.
- Gently shake off excess chocolate and place back on parchment/silpat-lined baking sheet.
- Top truffles with a small sprinkle of sea salt (optional), and repeat until all truffles are coated. Note: Here is best to have a helper to do the salt as you work through the chocolate
- Freeze to set again
- Place back in freezer to set (20-60 min)
- Set out from the the freezer or fridge to serve. For softer truffles, let come to room temperature.
- Store in a freezer-safe container in the fridge or freezer to keep fresh. Makes about 20 truffles.
- Change up chocolate, peanutbutter and salts to get different combinations of flavors!
- Favorites: Adobo pepper, truffle salt, ghost pepper salt, sea salt, hybiscus salt...
Dates! Costco has a great container, it makes about 2 batches
Here are some of my salt collection! So addicting!
And they are just so cute and pretty!
Note: Use a peanut butter and chocolate you enjoy! We used a multi nut butter to be “healthy” and ick… So back to jiff for us!