4 July, 2017
Hoisin Chicken – redo for the grill
The original hoisin chicken is an amazing recipe
Fabulous for pre-prep or I have also frozen the chicken and the sauce after pre-prep for use later!
For this re-do the recipe is the same except i did not simmer the sauce down on the stove top. I’m not sure how i like it better.
Pro tip – pam on the chicken will make the sauce not stick, so gotta risk sticking to the grill and having more sauce. Also did use some of the sauce i reserved as a “salad dressing” to drizzle of the chicken and the salad i had it on.
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 (6–ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halve – pounded thin
- Cooking spray
- Preheat grill.
- While the grill heats, combine the hoisin, honey, vinegar, and oil in a small saucepan;
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Combine cornstarch and water;
- Add to hoisin mixture, stirring with a whisk.
- Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Combine salt and the next 4 ingredients (salt through five-spice powder);
- rub evenly over both sides of chicken.
- Place chicken on a grill - for 5 minutes.
- Brush with hoisin mixture; grill 4 minutes.
- Turn chicken; brush with hoisin mixture. Grill 4 minutes or until done, basting frequently with hoisin mixture.
- This is a versitile recipe with a great flavor!
- Spray small container with cooking spray – i use trader joe’s coconut oil spray.
- Add hoisin sauce, honey, rice vinegar, sesame oil (no need to mix, let it layer)
- In a small container – i use the tupperware midgets, but the dollar section at the grocery store has some great ones!
- Combine – salt, garlic powder, ground ginger, black pepper, five-spice powder
- Pound the chicken breast and store it covered in the fridge.
At this point you can freeze the chicken and the sauce together for use in the future.
- Preheat grill.
- While the broiler heats, pour sauce mixture into a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Combine cornstarch and water; add to hoisin mixture, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Note: i let my sauce simmer till it is a goey mess… but that is how i like it on my chicken!
- Rub/sprinkle the spice mixture evenly over both sides of chicken. Place chicken on the prepared grill.
- Grill 5 minutes. Brush with hoisin mixture; Grill 4 minutes. Turn chicken; brush with hoisin mixture. Grill 4 minutes or until done, basting frequently with hoisin mixture.
Always delicious – has been in the repertoire for nearly 10 years now… But this is the first year we tried it on the grill!