Back in the day when i moved in with the mister he had 2 ice cream makers.
One was the old school with the rock salt
The other was one i actually let him keep – which was an electric one with a frozen innards.
But i put my foot down on making ice cream with heavy cream… if we want real ice cream we do the 2 mile walk to the fancy place across town!
So when i found some yums on CL, i knew it was one we had to try and it has been in our summer repertoire ever since
[buymeapie-recipe id=’7′]Start with about 2 quarts of fresh strawberries – and give them a nice wash. I love veggie wash for this – but will be making my own fruit washing solution when i run out of that…
Next up the slicing and coring of the berries
Making the simple syrup!
Combine the simple syrup, blended berries and buttermilk – i use the powdered buttermilk and add it to the berries and just add plain water to the berry and syrup mixture!
And then – gelato!
- Make the simple syrup (sugar and water)
- Wash and slice the berries as it cools.
- combine the sugar water and the berry mixture
- Put it all in the fridge until you are ready for fresh gelato!
- Pull the ice cream container out freezer, make your gelato. Start it about 30 minutes before you want desert!
- Store extras in single serving containers.
- Allow to defrost on the counter for 30 minutes before eating.