Jump to recipe
What do you do when you garden doesn’t perform to completion, and then there is going to be 3 nights of frost??
You have buckets tomatoes that might become viable, but also possible that they might not.
So you search the internet for something besides “fried green tomatoes” and come across a green tomato cake thing, well, why not… if zucchini cobbler is delicious can’t this work too?
Green Tomato Cake
1 hour, 30 minutes
Original recipe was found here
I chose to go with other people’s suggestions of 2 pans vs the 1, i did 1 with coconut, 1 without! I think i like the without!
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups finely diced green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup or more of flaked coconut, optional
- Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pam 2 8×8 baking pan.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg;
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil or shortening, eggs, and vanilla; beat until smooth and creamy.
- slowly beat flour mixture into egg mixture. Blend well.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan. Top with coconut if desired.
- Bake for 50 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve and enjoy!
This is a lovely way to to use up green tomatoes! More like a coffee cake!
If you try this, let me know what you think!