This was delightful! I really loved how it came together and how delicious it was! I’ve had this recipe on deck thanks to Jami at an Oregon Cottage website and newletter. Per my typical, I changed it up for our household tastes and only made half!
Definitely easy to make mid week as i have all ingredients on deck most of the time!
Lentil and sausage stew
1 1/2 cups
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 45 minutes
I loved the flavor and warmth on a cold night. It took a while, but was easy to bring together on a work night.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound spicy ground sausage (I love that you can buy it in bulk)
- 1/2 onion chopped (macerated)
- 3 large cloves garlic chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (1.5 tsp beef bullion powder, 3 cups water)
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 lb. dry lentils, rinsed about 1-1/8 cups
- 10 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Add the sausage to large stockpot and cook until brown.
- Add onions and garlic; cook 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water, and lentils.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and spices.
- Bring back to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 45-50 minutes.
Verdict – winner!
i really enjoyed it, the hubby wanted more sausage.
I paired it with some Homemade Dinner Rolls and was able to have both be one at just about the same time!