Jump to recipe
This a wonderful bar recipe, and browning the butter just makes your kitchen smell delightful!
Found it on Two Peas and their Pod and just had to give it a try for a neighborhood party… Unfortunately for them i didn’t cook it nearly enough for public consumption, but hubby and I are enjoying it just enough…
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
Fantastic and easy bars. Just a little extra effort to brown the butter.
1 bar cookie
- 3/4 cup butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the butter in a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat, stirring often, until it foams, smells nutty, and browns. This will take about 5 to 7 minutes. Scrape the browned butter into a large bowl and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and sugar to the brown butter and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until smooth. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until just combined, don’t over mix.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan and spread with a spatula. You can use your fingers to lightly press the dough into the corners of the pan to make sure the dough is evenly spread.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until the bars are set and golden brown. Don’t over bake the bars will continue setting up as they cool.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. Let the bars cool before cutting into squares.
Verdict: Tastes delightful, easy to make and wonderful to share. Remember to sprinkle the salt when it first comes out of oven.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think!