Jump to recipe
Each year for the boy’s birthday, i make them puppy cakes. Mini muffins so they can have a long while of birthday treats!
This year i needed a new recipe, so onto the interwebs i went looking for something interesting.
Banana Peanutbutter Dog Cakes was the winner!
My addition was to add in some spent grain to give them a little more umph!
Banana and Peanutbutter Dog Cake
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup molasses, blackstrap
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups wet spent grain
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a stand mixer bowl, add the canola oil, applesauce and molasses.
- On low-medium speed, thoroughly combine.
- Add the peanut butter, and mix until combined.
- Add the eggs one at a time, until all combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Using the lowest setting, or the stir setting on your mixer, slowly add the dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas.
- Take the mixing bowl off the stand. Fold in the mashed bananas, making sure they are well incorporated.
- Using a mini muffin pan with 24 cups, you will be able to fill your pan twice to get a total of 48 muffins. Bake at the same temperature, but for 10 minutes. Turn the pan half way for even baking. Let the pan cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Cool the muffins on a wire rack. We like this version of creating mini muffins best because it is so versatile. If your dog is small, you can easily break apart one muffin for two servings. Or, for larger dogs, they get their very own muffin. The muffins also travel very well, so you can make extras for dog party favors, or gifts. We used a scant tablespoon cookie scooper to easily measure the right amount of batter into each cup. The muffins rise quite a bit, so don't overfill the muffin cups.
With the added spent grain it definitely makes, nearly 20 muffins more, and i filled them pretty full!
They smell amazing, and you can see little chunks of banana in the muffins!
And the boys loved them!