Jump to recipe
After i experimented with my neighbors apples and created apple butter and realized I had a whole bunch of something that was not exciting to me, it was time to research some other options of what to do with it! Got the recipe from Lizzy T, so glad for all her research and experimentation!
The tag line was, this is the new pumpkin pie, and I need to agree, it’s a definitely great option for me who doesn’t like pumpkin pie!
Give it a try, it’s really enjoyable!
Hubby decided he wanted graham cracker crust, and the keebler one is just a bit too small to hold all this yummy goodness, so some of yummie middle had to go down the drain, such a bummer! So next time, frozen pie crust!
Apple Butter Pie
When you just can't stand to have pumpkin pie, this is another option, similar texture, better flavor!
Interesting and tasty pie!
At altitude need 65-70
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups whole milk*
- Pastry for 1 9 pie crust
- Beat eggs in a medium size bowl. Add the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and apple butter. Mix well.
- Add milk and whisk together.
- Press the pastry into a 9" pie plate that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust. Use a spoon to mix the filling once it is in the crust to be sure all of the ingredients are equally distributed.
- Bake at 375 for 60-65 minutes, or until the center is set. It will still seem slightly "jiggly" in the very center, but a knife put in the center should come out nearly clean.
- Cool in the pie plate on a wire rack. Do not slice into the pie right away, as it will continue to set as it sits.
- Store the pie in the refrigerator once it is cooled.
Next round of apple butter i’ll make it chunky for a more agreeable pie!