First off, for the uninitiated, like me, apple butter is not butter. I know, i know, you can stop reading now if you like. But option 2, mix apple butter with butter for apple butter butter and then you do have butter! Since i make honey butter all the time anyway, it can be done!
My neighbor on one side have 2 apple trees. One dumps their load in our front yard all the time and are similar to granny apples. There other is similar toe red delicious ish.. So i decided to take some and see what i could do. I found a recipe for apple butter, and being disillusioned that it would taste like butter, just had to do it!
It took a good long while to peel all those apples. They are not grocery store size. And i learned that my most amazing peeler ever – not so amazing on small round items, so back to the oxo for those (i didn’t really ponder that till after the 20 or so apples were peeled) Live and learn!
If you enjoy thick apple sauce, this is the recipe for you!
Found this delight thanks to Lizzy T (https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/homemade-apple-butter/)
Great way to create something wonderful!
- 6 1/2 pounds apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place the apples in a slow cooker.
- Add the sugars, cinnamon, salt and vanilla to the crockpot. Mix well.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring every couple hours. The apple butter should be thick and dark brown.
- If desired, use a blender to puree the apple butter until smooth. (Immersion blender to the rescue!)
- Cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze in small containers.
As is, this is not the type of thing for me. But check the next recipe where i use it in Cinnamon rolls – yum!
Apple Butter Cinnamon Rolls – Lazy Bear FoodsSeptember 22, 2018 at 6:17 am
[…] you make your first batch of apple butter you realize just how much output there is from smooshed and pureed […]
Apple Butter Pie – Lazy Bear FoodsSeptember 16, 2018 at 8:35 pm
[…] i experimented with my neighbors apples and created apple butter and realized I had a whole bunch of something that was not exciting to me, it was time to research […]
Comments are closed.