Jump to recipe
I’ve been thinking about making this breakfast (or dessert) treat for a while and I finally had enough time and was hungry enough to give it a try. Hubby isn’t a huge fan of blueberries – so a mix berry option doesn’t make him super excited to try…
Berry Breakfast Custard
1 hour, 10 minutes
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for baking dish (plant butter is a good option too)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries (from a 10-oz. pkg.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously coat a 2-quart baking dish with butter and dust with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Process eggs, milk, melted butter, and remaining 4 tablespoons sugar in a blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Add flour and salt and pulse until well combined, about 15 pulses.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking dish. Arrange berries and cherries over batter. Bake until custard is puffed and just set in center, about 45-55 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
At first blush I wasn’t sure this was worth eating… but as hubby passed his plate back to me, i just get shoveling it in! It was a nice breakfast and I will make it again soon!
The frozen fruit probably made it a bit more wiggly than it should of, so I would cook it longer next time.