Jump to recipe
With my friend going strong with brewing beer, i have plenty of ingredients to try new things!
I also still had some apple butter from last season to add some umph to muffins. I found this original recipe on Love and Oil.
Apple Sauce Muffins with Spent Grain
This made 12 muffins and 10 mini muffins.
These muffins are very subtle, but are a nice way to start the day!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup spent grain, dried*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (or sweetened or apple butter)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or grease with baking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, dried spent grain, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate larger bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 cup of brown sugar, and oil until well combined; stir in applesauce. Fold in flour mixture until just moistened (it’s ok if it’s still a little lumpy).
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin tin. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over tops.
- Bake muffins for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Overall i thought it was a little less stellar than i has hoped, especially with apple butter. I think it really needed a good topping of brown sugar to do what was needed!
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think!