When you have a bunch of carrots from the garden or you get excited about the giant bag from costco, here is a way to create some yummy interesting snacks!
When the hubby walks in the door with more carrots that a bunny could eat… you get crackin with the food processor.
Roasted Carrot Hummus
Cuisine Mediterranean Category Appetizers Salads Sauces/Dips/Dipping Sauces Veggies Waste Not Want Not
1 hour, 15 minutes
This is a great recipe, fun to make and fun to eat!
Can mix it up by adding onions to the roast mix
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus 1 teaspoon for garnish
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet, toss the carrots and garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon olive oil and the cumin, salt and pepper.
- Roast until the carrots are tender and lightly caramelized, stirring halfway through, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool until warm. Peel the garlic cloves.
- In a food processor, combine the roasted carrots and garlic with the tahini, cilantro, lemon juice and 5 tablespoons water. Pulse until smooth. With the processor running, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Make a small well in the center of the hummus and fill with olive oil. Sprinkle the remaining 1 teaspoon cilantro over the top. Serve with crudites and pita chips.
I was surprised as how tasty this was! Definitely salt and pepper to your liking. Up the garlic quotient to what works for you and enjoy!