Once you make your first batch of apple butter you realize just how much output there is from smooshed and pureed apples!
Back to the internet on what else you can make.. Oh LizzyT you saved me once again! Next up – Cinnamon rolls. I had made cinnamon rolls before it was beyond time intensive, or so memory serves. Long convoluted story about an ex leaving the house close to the end with the threat that if he did not return there would not be any… Each neighbor got a nice plate full… So i have been warey about trying this again, but am i so glad i did!
These were amazing. The dough was perfect, not too sticky and rolled amazing. The inside was delish – and i even forgot the extra 3/4 cup brown sugar. But the decadence… once again the neighbors got treats, but only because each roll was about 500 calories a piece…
Lesson learned, hubby doesn’t like cream cheese frosting… 13+ years and apparently i haven’t made things enough for him to state this or i just ignored it… you pick!
Delightful use of some of that apple butter. So decadent. Tons of frosting... maybe make half.
- 1/2 cup 2% or higher fat milk warmed to 110-115 degrees F.
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 package Red Star Platinum Yeast
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1/2-2/3 cup apple butter
- 3/4 cup dark or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 6 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 5 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add the warm milk and the yeast to a stand mixer bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until yeast is activated. Add the egg, butter, salt, sugar and flour. With with dough hook, beat on low for 2 minutes until the dough is combined and forms a ball. Then let the dough hook knead the dough on medium speed for about 8-9 minutes. The dough will be soft and just slightly sticky. Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 20-30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a 10x20 rectangle. Spread the butter and apple butter to cover the dough. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the top, then roll it up like a jelly roll. Cut it into 9 slices (about 2 inches each) and place them into a 9x9 baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Set the pan of cinnamon rolls in a warm place to rise for 20 minutes. (took ours closer to 35 at altitude) After they are done rising, bake them at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.
- While they are cooling, make the frosting. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and cinnamon. Beat until well blended.
- Spread the frosting over the warm cinnamon rolls.
Apple Butter Cinnamon Rolls
Amount Per Serving:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13||20%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Lazy Bear Foods
Verdict – amazing! Next time make powdered sugar and milk drizzle for this!
Have you tried these? Let me know what you think!