Jump to recipe
This delightful recipe is a great option for a small household or a large potluck!
When the neighbors’s trees are still tossing apples into your yard, you look up all kinds of recipes!
Another Betty Crocker win! I halved the recipe, but you can double for a larger pan!
The recipe calls for caramels but you can definitely use jarred sauce instead.
Caramel Apple Bars
1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tbl shortening
- 3/4 + 2 tbl cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples (1 1/2 medium)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 bag (14 ounces) caramels (unwrapped)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix brown sugar, butter and shortening in large bowl.
- Stir in flour, the oats, salt and baking soda.
- Reserve 1 cups oat mixture;
- Press remaining oat mixture in ungreased rectangular pan, 7x11x2 inches.
- Toss apples and 1 1/2 tablespoons flour; spread over mixture in pan.
- Heat caramels over low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted;(optional all heavy. cream to help it be liquidy)
- Pour evenly over apples.
- Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture; press lightly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender.
- For 16 bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows while warm. Store covered in refrigerator.
This a great desert! Cold from the fridge or warm with a little icecream!