You can make your own beans in the instant pot. 2 cups of dry beans give you approximately 3 cans of beans.
Don’t need an overnight soak, and in under an hour you get some lovely beans.
Re-used a cuban soup recipe and make these beans flavorful. great way to use dried beans instead of canned.
- 1 pound dried black beans (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper, (about 1 medium, 7 oz.)
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (or 2 tsp bullion, 3 cups water)
- Rinse, drain, and sort black beans, picking out any stones or broken beans. Set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE. Allow to heat for 3 minutes.
- Add olive oil, onion, peppers, garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, and oregano.
- Cook stirring often, until vegetables are slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, stock, and beans. Stir to blend.
- Cover Instant Pot, and fasten lid. Lock and seal steam valve.
- Set to HIGH pressure for 37-45 minutes. (The pot will take about 15 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
- When the cook time has ended, allow Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 20 minutes. Uncover and turn off Instant Pot.
Verdict: Fantastic flavor and easy to make beans from dry.