Jump to recipe
This was a decadent and delightful meal! Decided to make it for me and to share with the neighbors!
The original recipe called for a pistachio pesto, but I had a bunch of carrot top pesto in the freezer that I used instead.
The butter and the wine on the initial toast of the arrabbiato makes the dish!
Green Risotto with Pesto
1 cup of risotto
1 hour, 30 minutes
Such a delightful flavor and fun presentation with the spinach and pesto!
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2.5 cups hot chicken broth, divided, plus more as needed
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook onion, 1 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large oven-safe pot over medium, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add rice; cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Add wine; cook, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups hot broth to pot.
- Bring mixture to a simmer over high.
- Remove from heat; stir once and cover.
- Transfer to oven and bake until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes (rice won’t be cooked through).
- If necessary – make pesto
- Return risotto to stove over medium.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth; simmer, stirring often, until rice is al dente and risotto is creamy, about 6 minutes, adding more broth as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Fold in 1 cup spinach, pesto, lemon juice, and remaining 1 tablespoons butter. Top with cheese
Great flavor, fun to make
I loved it, enjoyed sharing with neighbors, but will not make it again, due to the high calorie count.
If you try this recipe, let me know what you think!