Jump to recipe
This recipe started life, much differently! We masserate onions and immersion the tomatoes – hubby has a bit of a texture issues – so we change our recipes. You are welcome to just chop your onions and plop the can of tomatoes in!
Spiced Lentil with Fried Eggs
This is a delightful recipes, easy to make, but a bit more clean up than one would hope from such a quick meal!
- 1 cup dried small red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain; discard bay leaf.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and tomato (if not immersion blended); sauté 8 minutes or until onion is tender. Add curry, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, red pepper, and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add lentils (and immersion blended tomatoes); cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Fry 1-2 eggs per person in a non stick pan.
- Place about 3/4 cup lentil mixture on each of 4 plates; top each serving with egg. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
This recipe is on our quickie dinner list.
Flavors are great and fills up 2 humans.