This is one of my favorite desserts! It’s made with of all things – cottage cheese! It turns out fantastic and is great with melted berries!
Warning – you do need chill time, so remember to keep that in mind! I have only chilled it for 6 hours and it worked out great!
Butter Crunch Lemon-Cheese Bars
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace or nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar splenda
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind. (or 3 lemons wrth)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or 2 lemons worth)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white (from the carton)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare crust, place first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour to butter mixture, and beat at low speed until well-blended. Press crust into an 8-inch square baking pan with a piece of foil coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- To prepare filling, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process 2 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once.
- Add 1 cup granulated sugar splenda and remaining ingredients, and process until well-blended.
- Pour filling over crust. Bake at 350° for 25 30 minutes or until set (the edges will get lightly browned), and cool.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours.
Verdict: This an easy recipe to prepare for company, looks great and you can make it ahead!
Hubby doesn’t like lemon or cheese cake, so i don’t make it very often, but you should!