Jump to recipe
Adapted from Betty Crocker recipe. I’m still surprised how good some of their recipes are! I changed this to be just for 2 and used a single thing chicken breast. Was a little tricky as the original timing was for mulitple regular chicken breasts.
As you might know, the hubby doesn’t enjoy chicken breasts with their uneven sizes. This leads to prep-prepping after I return home from costco. I take all the chicken breasts out of their packages, wash off the goop, and then dry them. Depending what is missing from the freezer I will pounds breasts into even sizes or cut each breast into chunks or strips. Then i food saver them in single breast packets.
So i digress, this recipe was delicious and i could put tomatoes on my half! It’s quick and easy, no leftovers if made with a single breast!
Garlic-Butter Orzo Chicken Casserole
1/2 breast with orzo
1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo or rosamarina pasta
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 Chicken breast pounded thin
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 8X8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread uncooked orzo evenly in baking dish.
- Add broth, melted butter, garlic, 1/8 teaspoon salt and the black pepper to orzo in baking dish; stir.
- Spread tomatoes evenly over mixture.
- In large bowl, mix oil, Italian seasoning, 1/8 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes. Add chicken; turn to coat.
- Place chicken evenly over tomatoes; cover with foil.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear, and chicken and mixture are both heated to at least 165°F in center.
- Remove foil, and sprinkle chicken with mozzarella cheese; bake uncovered 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with basil.
This is a fantastic recipe! Great for 2 – obviously double etc for more people! Flavors were wonderful, easy to put into a single dish. Includes side and main!