I try to give hubby a way to get veggies. I expanded this recipe from Rachel Ray to include a full 12 ounces of frozen spinach. Yes it turn the dough green, but isn’t that half the fun?
Pizza dough – with spinach
Cuisine Italian Category Bread Great For 2 Pre-prep Veggies
1/2 a pizza when cooked using 1 ball of dough.
- 1 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees )
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3-5 cups (or more) all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1-2 tablespoons EVOO, plus more for oiling bowl
- 1 bag of frozen spinach – macerate in a ninja
- Mix the warm water with the yeast and let the mixture stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of flour and the salt to mix.
- Add 1-2 tbsp. EVOO (garlic or cayenne oil)
- Add the spinach
- Process until the dough comes together in a sticky ball, about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Up to 5-10 min knead, using the kitchenaid until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Continue adding flour to accommodate the spinach and keep the dough from being too tacky.
- Lightly oil a large bowl; add the dough, turning to coat. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough stand in a warm, draft-free area until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch the dough down, then turn onto a cutting board. Using a knife, cut the dough into 5 equal size balls.
- At this point, the dough can be frozen, and will make a nice size pizza.
- Shape 1 dough wedge roughly into a ball. Place the dough ball on the work surface and cup your hand lightly over it. Rotate your hand counterclockwise, letting the dough roll on the work surface. Continue until the surface of the dough is smooth. Repeat with the remaining dough wedges.
- To make a pizza:
- Turn out 1 ball of dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Press it out on the work surface into a 9-inch round, a long rectangle or an oval.
- Pro tip: cook the dough on a stone for 7-10 minutes prior to making your pizza. Add desired toppings and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes.
Rachel Ray was quite correct, this is the best pizza dough and adding veggies make it just that much better!
If you try it let me know what you think!