This was a wonderful find from Dizzy Buzy and Hungry. The full recipe had bacon and used a 6 quart – i modified it since i didn’t have bacon, and decided a cute round loaf would go better with the beer can chicken. The bread came out a bit more done on the bottom than my liking at 2 hours and 15 minutes at mile high, but hubby and the guest thought it was delightful. I loved the opportunity to not turn on the oven and still enjoy fresh bread!
Cheddar Slow Cooker Bread
2 hours, 15 minutes
2 hours, 35 minutes
Know your crockpot, if you need more, go for it!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk (6 tbl buttermilk powder, 1.5 cups water)
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine the four, baking soda, baking powder, (buttermilk powder if using) and salt.
- Then add shredded cheddar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk (water if using powder) and egg.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon into a dough.
- Form the dough into a round-ish loaf, then cut an ‘X’ with a serrated knife about 1 inch deep into the loaf. (if too gooey, don’t worry about it)
- Line the slow cooker with parchment paper and lower the loaf onto the parchment.
- Drape paper towels over the top of the crock, cover, and cook on high for
- 2 hours.
- Check bread, if it looks done, turn over and brown the top
Verdict: Yes please!
This is a great recipe, give a try, change up your cheese and spices.