the boys, Paco’s forever home day! Gotcha day, saved me day, whatever you choose to call it. I make them him treats on his birthday and this day each year!
I try to pick something new, as there are many recipes in the list and it’s hard to branch out some times! This year it was a recipe that called for shredded apple, fresh mint and fresh parsley. Well, I had apple butter in the freezer, frozen pumpkin and fresh mint, so that would have to be the option! I added spent grain too. Original recipe is here!
Pumpkin, apple butter, mint dog treats
30 minutes left the cookies soft, if you want harder to keep outside of the fridge, cook longer, turning the tray often.
Can replace the eggs with a scoby if so desired, process that after the spent grain if using.
- 1/2 cup spent grain (optional)
- 3/4 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 cups whole wheat flour, or more, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat; set aside.
- In the bowl of food processor blend spent grain if using. We want the spent grain to be well macerated.
- Add pumpkin puree, apple butter and eggs process until well combined
- Gradually add 3 cups flour (less if no spent grain) thru the feed tube with machine running.
- Add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, cut out desired shapes and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the edges are golden brown, about 20-40 minutes.
- Turn tray half way thru
- Let cool completely.
Paco enjoyed them, and would run to his bed to eat them – i made them bigger than his normal mini cookie cutter size!
Paco and his brother were brought home together 12 years ago… sadly Winston crossed the rainbow bridge earlier than I would liked in 2021. This will always be his forever home day as well!