Jump to recipe
We used to make these when hubby tried 4 hour body. It’s a lovely replacement for rice, a good amount of heft, and a quick cook. We forgot how much we liked them! Goes fantastic with Spicy Coconut Shrimp
- 3/4 cup dried small red lentils
- 3-10 tablespoons water
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups coarsely chopped spinach (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 serrano chile, or jalapeno or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- Sort and wash lentils; place in a bowl.
- Cover with water to 2 inches above lentils.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain well.
- Place lentils and 3 tablespoons water in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add ingredients thru garlic into the food processor
- Combine the spinach, and next 7 ingredients (spinach through garlic), stirring well.
- Process until desired consistency.
- Add additional water until desired consistency.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drop lentil mixture by 1/4 cup scoop into pan.
- Cook 2-4 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Repeat procedure with remaining oil and lentil mixture.
These are great replacement for rice, sops up the sauce of whatever you are having nicely!
If you try it, let me know what you think and what you ate it with!