I’ve made this recipe a couple times and it’s such a great flavor. This time I decided to make just portion, with just some meat, but decided to make the full amount of sauce, mainly cause the full recipe calls for a full can of coconut milk. Delicious!
Cuisine Asian Category Meat
1/2 cup meat with sauce
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 45 minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots or thinly sliced onions
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced peeled ginger / or grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 5 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 to 2 serrano chiles, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk, divided
- 2/3 cup flaked unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 (3-inch) fresh lemongrass stalks, crushed
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Place first 9 ingredients in a food processor or mini chopper. Add 1/4 cup coconut milk; process until smooth. Spoon mixture into a bowl; set aside.
- Place 3 tablespoons coconut milk and flaked coconut in food processor; process until a smooth paste forms.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sear meat
- Add shallot mixture; cook 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining coconut milk, rind, and next 5 ingredients (through broth);
- bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard lemongrass. Stir in flaked coconut mixture; simmer 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Serve over rice.
The flavor is wonderful. Making a batch of sauce to use as a simmer sauce makes quick work of dinner in the future!
If you try this recipe let me know what you think?
Leave a Reply