Jump to recipe
I’ve been thinking about this soup for a while. While we are stuck at home, it’s time to raid the pantry and try new recipes! So excited to have to work at home and have wonderful meals at night!
This was a nice way to end a sunday night!
Curried Lentil, Tomato, and Coconut Soup
1 to 1 1/2 cups
Can seem a smidge bland, use spice/salt blends to add some umph.
Serve with a salad, and a loaf of bread!
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 2½-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder / or hot
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 1 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes – immersion blended.
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro, plus leaves with tender stems for serving
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, shaken well
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium.
- Cook onion, stirring often, until softened and golden brown, 8–10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, curry powder, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, ½ cup cilantro, a generous pinch of salt, and 2½ cups water; season with pepper.
- Set aside ¼ cup coconut milk for serving and add remaining coconut milk to saucepan.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until lentils are soft but not mushy, 20–25 minutes.
- Season soup with more salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with reserved coconut milk and top with more cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
- Do Ahead: Soup (without toppings) can be made 3 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill.
Verdict a nice soup, enjoyable sunday night with a loaf of bread and soup!
Find jalapeno beer bread recipe here
Asian cucumber recipe here